Yam (山药 Shan yao)
Yams are high in vitamin C, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and manganese; they are low in saturated fat and sodium. Vitamin C, dietary fiber and vitamin B6 may all promote good health.
Furthermore, a product that is high in potassium and low in sodium is likely to produce a good potassium-sodium balance in the body, and so protect against osteoporosis and heart disease.
TCM believes that the yam is a "neutral" food which helps reinforce the spleen, benefit the kidney and nourish the lungs. It can help relieve diarrhea due to a weakened spleen, coughing due to weak lungs, and frequent urination due to weak kidneys.
Longan, jujube and yam soup
Ingredients: jujubes (12), yam (300g), longan meat (2 spoons), sugar
1. Soak the jujubes until soft; peel and chop the yam into pieces.
2. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with water and bring quickly to boil.
3. Turn to gentle heat and keep heating until the ingredients get soft.
4. Add longans and sugar to sweeten.
5. Keep heating until longans get soft.
Benefits: Helps reinforce spleen and stomach, and nourishes blood and energy.